Frequently Asked Questions
The Bedford DASH is a two-year pilot program to launch a resident on-demand shuttle in the Town of Bedford. The project is funded by the Town of Bedford in cooperation with Middlesex 3 Transportation Management Association, federal transportation grant through the Massachusetts Department of Transportation's Community Transit Program, along with grant funding in partnership from Lahey Hospital and Medical Center. Through the new service, Town of Bedford officials hope to not only increase transit ridership generally but also to attract new riders, including seniors, people with disabilities, and school-aged youth, who may not have used public transit before.
The DASH Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- DASH operates weekdays from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- DASH does not operate when Town Offices are closed. This includes during weather emergencies, and the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President’s Day, Patriot’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day following Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
- DASH is a dial a ride on-demand service.
- Bedford residents can phone in a request for a ride to the Dispatch line at 781-275-DASH(3274)
- A live dispatcher is available to take your call from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. If you call after 4:00 PM you will connect with our voicemail and your message will be retrieved morning of the next business day.
- Cancellations must be made by 4:00 PM the day before the booked trip.
- Passengers will be responsible for the fare on all trips that are cancelled late or for no-shows.
- Passengers are asked to be ready 15 minutes before their trip and to wait up to 15 minutes after their scheduled time to allow for flexibility in the schedule.
- You can also make a request for a ride online at www.bedforddash.com. All online requests are not booked until you receive a confirmation.
- TransAction Corporate Shuttles of Woburn will be operating the DASH.
A dial-a-ride service means the schedule for the van is different every day. Passengers book trips and they are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. That means the sooner you call us to book your trip, the more likely you will be to get the time you request. We hope that you will be patient as our goal is to make the service available to as many people as possible. That means that from time to time we may ask if you can adjust your pick-up or drop-off time slightly so that we can accommodate more passengers.
DASH is a curb-to-curb service. Passengers are picked-up at the curb by their location and they are dropped off at the curb at the destination.
- Rides for adults ages 18 to 64 are $2.00 each way in Bedford and $4.00 each way outside of Bedford.
- For youth under 18, seniors, Medicare card holders, and Veterans the cost is $1.00 each way in Bedford and $2.00 each way outside of Bedford.
- You can purchase a multiple ride pass with 25 1$ fares for a discounted cost of $20. The driver will sell these on the bus.
- Passes can also be mailed to people who request them online and send in a check. Either exact change or a check made out to TransAction Corporate Shuttles will work for purchases on the bus.
Trips can be booked to Bedford, Billerica, Burlington, and Lexington. Trips to Concord are made only on Mondays and Tuesdays. Out of town locations are subject to change depending on availability. Due to time and budget constraints we are not planning trips into Cambridge or Boston or further afield as other public transit exists to serve those areas. However, if there are destinations you find it difficult to get to, please share your thoughts at www.bedforddash.com so we have that information for possible future services.
Riders can pay their fare on the bus if they have exact change or desire to make a donation above their designated fare as the drivers cannot make change. A multiple ride pass with 25 1$ fares for a discounted cost of $20 is available from the driver or via mail order. Again, exact change or a check made out to TransAction Corporate Shuttles will work for purchases on the bus.
Yes, your Middle School or High School child aged 12 – 18 may take the DASH with your signed permission form on file. A parent or legal guardian is responsible for making the phone call requesting the trip and providing the information. Parents/guardians have the option to give permission for youth to book their own trips once pre-registered by a parent/guardian. Forms and more information are available at www.bedforddash.com under the "Permission Packet" section.
Our primary concern is for the safety of all riders, especially young children who may not be familiar with riding public transportation. Having a parent register their child and approve destinations ensures that parents are aware and comfortable with their child’s DASH utilization.
Having a parent book the ride ensures that parents are aware of their child’s whereabouts at all times. For that reason children under the age of 12 using the DASH must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or older sibling. Also, please note that the driver will pick your child up at the curb at the origin, and drop the child at the curb at their destination. The driver will not be able to confirm that a child has entered a building at their destination. We recommend that you have your child call you when they arrive at their destination. It is our goal to be as flexible as possible so that people can make the best use of the DASH. If you have a specific request related to children riding the service, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate it.
That depends on where the DASH is going at that point. If you are registered with the Dispatcher and have a fare card, you may be able to hop on if the DASH is not oversubscribed, and it is heading where you want to go. Please note that the DASH will only stop in a safe spot. Regular routes may develop as the system progresses and resident desires are better known. Updated information will be posted at www.bedforddash.com
Give the DASH a call! One of the reasons for this expanded transit service was to help residents getting to and from Town Center for this Thursday event.
Unfortunately lost or stolen fare cards can’t be replaced so be sure to put it in a safe place.
Car seats are not required for children riding on the DASH, but parents or guardians may supply their own child car seats(s). When reserving a ride for you and your small child in a car seat, please indicate that you will need a passenger seat for yourself and a passenger seat for your child.
Give the DASH Dispatcher a call at 781-275-DASH(3274) Monday through Friday between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM (except on legal holidays) or use the Contact Us link at www.bedforddash.com You may also contact Healthy Communities Coordinator, Carla Olson, at 781-275-7727, x 260 Mondays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays or email firstname.lastname@example.org